Thursday 5 November 2015

Directors

 
 Photo of Katy Rudd and Joshua Jenkins by Scott Graham

This play has several directors, like a battle has several commanders. It's time, just before the end, to bring attention to our Consultant Associate Director Katy Rudd and Resident Director Kim Pearce. They're the ones who have been with us pretty much every step of the way; whipping us into shape and then keeping us on the boil, like something you cook for six weeks and then have to simmer and stir for a year.

Most actors tend to think that there's no way that any director could still be giving notes after some 300 plus shows. And many other actors might graciously take notes and then ignore them. But, when you're on a long tour, things can get stale. They can get misguided. We like to proudly proclaim that much of acting is instinct. But what if your instinct is wrong? That's what a director is for; and often they can see what's right much clearer than you can.

An example: the other week, I was noted on the fact that certain aspects of my performance were losing a degree of subtlety; through repeated execution, things were getting a bit heavy-handed and obvious. So I did as I was told and tried to rein it in a bit. The result? Immediately after the show, a total stranger came up to me (which never happens) and complimented me on the subtlety of my performance that night.

The director could see something that I couldn't. Like I said, that's what they're there for. So it seems only right to take this opportunity to thank Katy and Kim for all they've done.

Oh, and because they watched the show tonight; Katy for the last time. And they both asked could they be in the blog, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment