Wednesday 15 July 2015

Oxford


Oxford town, Oxford town. Something of a step up after the comparative intimacy of Truro, where we were playing to audiences of roughly a thousand less people than we were last night. Suddenly, we're back in a big theatre, and it changes the play back to what I'd forgotten was the norm.

As well as hosting plays like ours, the New Theatre, Oxford (previously the Apollo, from 1977 to 2003) is a music venue: Elvis Costello played here last month. It feels like a theatre suited to loud, dirty rock 'n' roll, which I like. But, most significantly for me, I came to my first ever gig here, 30 years ago. My brothers and I, with my late parents, came to see The Everly Brothers here in December 1985. A poignant memory; but even more moving for me is to look out at the stalls and imagine, seated there, people I love and can't be with any more. I'll be giving them a little mental wave every night.

No comments:

Post a Comment